Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Recognizing Authority

June 21, 2009

Background Scripture: Exodus 5:1 – 6:1
Lesson Passage: Exodus 5:1 – 9, 22 – 6:1

I recall my first disappointment in the ministry of evangelism occurred when I learned that non-Christians don’t think of God as I do. In spite of my private devotions, meditations, and prayers, I had loss sight of the fact that all people don’t know God. I thought that if I could share with others just what the Lord Jesus means to me that it would be sufficient to win them over to have the same adoration and reverence for God that I had come to know. God had moved in my life and worked miracles in my presence. Why couldn’t others get it and have similar experiences, thoughts, and emotions? Whether I had properly introduced others to Jesus I cannot readily say. What I can say is that they seemed underwhelmed and refused to recognize the authority of “my God” over them or anything else for that matter. Moses, undoubtedly, was still excited about winning the confidence of the Hebrews after being away from them for forty years. Everything was running smooth. Perhaps it was running too smooth. (Realism requires that overly positive situations be viewed with at least a dash of skepticism.) Did Moses understand God’s previous statement to him that Pharaoh’s heart would be hardened and he would refuse to let the Hebrews go? Not only did Pharaoh not comply with Moses’ request, he took out his frustration with the request on the very people that Moses was there to represent. The Hebrew supervisors that were placed over their brethren were beaten by Pharaoh’s taskmasters. This was both a rejection by Pharaoh of Moses’ request and a mild show of strength on his part. Now Moses had two problems. Pharaoh was not going to be cooperative and those that Moses represented, the Hebrews, were upset at Moses. Moses responded brilliantly and yet with an attitude of confusion. Moses took both problems to God and questioned God’s original intent in sending him in the first place. In spite of Moses’ frustration with the unfolding events, everything was going exactly according to God’s plan. God told Moses before he went before Pharaoh what Pharaoh’s reaction would be to his request. What Moses was not told is that Pharaoh’s reaction would cause some of the Hebrews to suffer at the hands of Pharaoh’s servants. Moses was in a position that he did not want to be in. Both sides saw Moses as a problem. Moses’ encounter with Pharaoh involved many people with various positions of authority. From Moses and Pharaoh to the Hebrew slave overseers and Pharaoh’s servants, many individuals with positions of authority were affected by this confrontation between Moses and Pharaoh. Above all of these stood one position and that is the authority of God. It seems that many were recognizing their various positions and the authority that went with them but they were not recognizing God and his authority. God again reassured Moses that he was in control and that Moses would see what the ultimate authority is able to do against those with earthly position only. In due time, all would recognize the only true authority.

Robert C. Hudson
June 3, 2009